Monday, September 19, 2011

Good Movie, but a mini-rant/ discussion is in order



This weekend I saw the movie Contagion. For the most part it was a great film, the writing and dialogue were good, the pacing was great, and it was so star-studded that it could make the Milky Way feel incompetent. But it had something that I disliked and took away some of the enjoyment (if that's what you call it when you watch a film about a killer disease) for me. Jude Laws's character plays a freelance writer/blogger, and I don't want to give away anything for those who haven't yet seen this film, but he is criticized and portrayed in such a way that makes independent journalists and bloggers look bad. At one point in the movie a scientist says that blogs are nothing more than 'graffiti with punctuation'. Now I know book blogging isn't exactly the same thing as political blogging, but I do have a respect for those writers. And yes, sometimes you have to wade through some obvious rubbish to find stories of intrigue, but it isn't as if the national newspapers are the gods of information either. If "all the news that's fit to print" really fit in my copy of the New York Times, it would probably take a tank to pull one to my house and the amazon rainforest would have bit the dust a long time ago.

Anyway, now that that's out of my system, I would love to hear what your two cents about all this is. (If you have seen the movie and don't agree with me I'd love it if you'd say so too, the world would be a boring place if we agreed with each other all the time).

I hope you guys have a great week!

~ Larissa

1 comment:

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!