Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Review: Galadria: Peter Huddleston and the Rites of Passage


Title: Galadria: Peter Huddleston and the Rites of Passage
Author: Miguel Lopez de Leon
Page Count: 226
My Rating: 3.5 TURTLES: A very enjoyable read, I recommend you check it out.

Description:

Meet Peter Huddleston.
A normal, but, lonely boy,
Who discovers wondrous and mysterious friends;
With a legacy to save and defend.

With his trusty boomerang in hand and armed with magical trinkets, Peter gamely faces the challenges to prove himself in this eccentric and privileged world. He is not as alone as he fears, aid comes from strange and unexpected places, but steadily Peter is pushed and tested to his breaking point. His successes put him in ever more peril and catapult him closer to a confrontation with Know, and to a grizzly realization that he might not survive the summer!


Review:

Galadria is a quick, fun, Middle Grade read. It is geared more towards younger readers (it is recommended for children eight and older) and because of this I don’t know if I would have picked it off the shelves if I hadn’t been reviewing it. As it turned out though, I really enjoyed following Peter on his adventures. I think this story would appeal to reluctant readers - especially boys due to the main character’s gender.

The book didn’t grab me right off the bat, it took me a chapter or two to get into it, but after I did it got better and better. Another little annoyance I had was that when Peter, who grew up in a non-magical world like our own, finds out about this other, magical realm, Galadria, he believes it almost immediately. I found this a little unbelievable, but didn’t detract from my overall enjoyment of the story.

One of my favorite things about this book was the wonderful cast of colorful characters. From Peter’s dapper butler, to the tame white tiger, Rune, the diverse characters made this story very fun to read. I would recommend this book especially to young readers up for an exciting adventure, but if an adult were looking for a quick, entertaining book, I’d recommend they check out Galadria as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!